Accessing Library Account Information
Patrons may view their library account at an online catalog in the library, or online from home. Two pieces of information are required: (1) the “User ID”, which is the barcode number on the back of the library card; and (2) a PIN. The initial PIN for all accounts is “OCLN”. Patrons may elect to change their PINs by following the steps provided online. If a PIN is forgotten, the patron can obtain it from a library staff member. View your account online.
Patrons are encouraged to suggest purchases for the library collection, with the understanding that funding is limited and every suggestion may not be ordered.
Checking Out Materials
- Patrons must have a valid library card with them to borrow materials.
- Patrons are encouraged to check out only their own materials on their library card; however, family members may be allowed to check out materials for each other if they have the other person’s card.
- Patrons are discouraged from allowing friends or unrelated persons to use their library card. It is the responsibility of the patron to return all materials on time, pay all overdue charges and to pay replacement costs for lost or damaged items that have been checked out on their card.
- The only items restricted to in-library use are reference items, newspapers, and the newest issues of magazines.
- Most items are fine-free. However, long-overdue items will generate a bill. Patrons with billed items will not be able to borrow, reserve or renew items until the bill is resolved.
- Please note that items borrowed from other OCLN libraries or from the Commonwealth Catalog may generate fines if returned late. Patrons are advised to return these materials in a timely manner.
|New Fiction and Non Fiction
|All other books and magazines
|New DVDs and Videos
|DVDs and Videos
|Mass Parks Pass
|Nintendo Switch games
Overdue InformationPatrons are encouraged to return library materials on or before their due date to make the items available to other patrons. There is a one-day grace period on books, CDs, and magazines, except for new items.
Returning MaterialsThere is a book drop at the entrance of the building for returns when the library is closed. To avoid damage to magazines, patrons are asked to only return those items inside the library during regular library hours.
When the library is open, all materials should be returned at the circulation desk. Items placed in the book drop when the library is open will not be checked in until the next day.
- Most items may be renewed at least once, unless holds have been placed on the item. Many new items, such as bestsellers, are often not available for renewal.
- Videos and DVDs are renewable, except for new items.
- Renewals can be done in person with a library card or the item, over the phone, or online from home.
Requesting MaterialsRequests or holds can be placed on most items found in the online catalog. This can be done at one of the online catalogs in the library, online from home, or with the assistance of a library staff member. Once a hold has been placed on an item, the first available copy in the network will be sent to the library that selected in the holds process as the pickup library.
When the library receives the item, the patron will be notified either by phone, email or text. If the desired item is not available in OCLN, it may be requested online through the Commonwealth Catalog, or through Inter-Library Loan (ILL) service arranged by a library staff member.
Lost or Damaged MaterialsPatrons are responsible for all library materials they check out. If a patron loses an item, they will be required to pay the replacement cost of the item. If library staff determines an item has been damaged beyond repair, the patron will be charged the replacement cost. If part of an item has been lost or damaged, patrons may be required to pay a fee for replacement or repair.
Whitman Public Library
100 Webster Street
Whitman MA 02382
Monday & Friday
9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday - Thursday
9:30 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Saturday (School Year)
9:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.